The Iceman Cometh
by Eugene O’Neill
Larry Slade Timeline and Summary
- Larry makes it clear to Rocky that he has no pipe dream but that he understands that the others’ pipe dreams are the things that keep them going.
- Later, Larry tells Parritt he wants nothing to do with Parritt’s problems.
- In an argument with Hickey (one of many), Larry demands to know what happened to cause Hickey’s change, suggesting that maybe Hickey’s joke about catching his wife with the Iceman finally came true.
- After learning that Hickey’s wife is dead, Larry suggests that it must have been suicide.
- In their final showdown, Larry tells Parritt to “get the hell out of life!” (4), which is what Parritt wanted to hear from him all along. This leads to Parritt’s suicide.
- Larry stares out blankly as the others celebrate. He knows that life is hopeless now.