The Importance of Being Earnest
by Oscar Wilde
Algernon Moncrieff Timeline and Summary
- Algernon plays the piano badly.
- Algernon discusses the merits of wine and marriage with Lane.
- Jack-as-Ernest visits Algernon.
- Algernon discovers Jack’s secret identity and reveals Bunbury.
- Algernon eats all of Lady Bracknell’s cucumber sandwiches, and must make excuses to his aunt.
- Algernon distracts Lady Bracknell with his music arrangements to give Jack time to propose to Gwendolen.
- Algernon discovers Jack’s country address.
- Algernon goes "Bunburying" as Ernest to meet Cecily.
- Algernon-as-Ernest flirts with Cecily and gets invited to dinner.
- Jack discovers that the man sitting in his dining room is actually Algernon.
- Algernon-as-Ernest sends away the dog-cart to flirt more with Cecily.
- Algernon-as-Ernest discovers Cecily’s diary and their engagement.
- He leaves to find out about getting christened.
- Algernon comes back to find the girls fighting over Ernest. The truth comes out, and the girls run into the house for refuge.
- Algernon and Jack fight over muffins after being stood up by the girls.
- Algernon lies to Lady Bracknell that Bunbury has died.
- Algernon watches gleefully while Aunt Augusta pronounces Cecily a worthy bride for him.
- Algernon is introduced to everyone as Jack’s "unfortunate brother" (III.154).
- Algernon hugs Cecily joyfully, knowing they can finally be married.