The Importance of Being Earnest
by Oscar Wilde
Gwendolen Fairfax Timeline and Summary
- Gwendolen and her mother Lady Bracknell visit Algernon.
- Gwendolen stays behind with Jack-as-Ernest while Lady Bracknell goes off with Algernon.
- Gwendolen rhapsodizes on how much she loves the name "Ernest."
- Jack-as-Ernest proposes to Gwendolen. She accepts.
- Gwendolen is sent down to the carriage while her mother interviews Jack-as-Ernest.
- Gwendolen comes back and declares her undying love for Ernest.
- Gwendolen gets Jack's country address.
- Gwendolen runs away from home to the Manor House.
- Gwendolen meets Cecily. She examines her and wishes Cecily were older.
- When they learn they’re both engaged to "Ernest," Gwendolen and Cecily insult each other over tea.
- Jack and Algernon arrive at the scene and the truth of their identities is revealed to the girls.
- Gwendolen and Cecily retreat to the house.
- Gwendolen and Cecily forgive the boys after they learn why they lied.
- Gwendolen flies into Jack’s arms after discovering his real name is indeed Ernest.