Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 11 Summary
The New Tie To Life
- Linda is living at Aunt Martha’s house, but she still belongs to Dr. Flint.
- One day, Dr. Flint shows up and demands to know the race of the baby’s father.
- When he learns that he is a white man, Dr. Flint demands that Linda cut off ties with the guy. Plus, her plan has failed, since Dr. Flint is never going to sell her.
- Linda gets another visitor: Uncle Phillip, who's just back from a trip.
- After Linda gets really sick, her baby is born early. They're both in bad shape, and Linda is stuck in bed for an entire year.
- Luckily, they both pull through.
- Somehow, Dr. Flint still has the hots for Linda, and he gets William to pass her notes.
- This doesn't prevent him from throwing William in jail when he's late to work one day.
- At one year old, Linda's baby gets really sick. Linda prays for him to survive, even though she's pretty sure death is better than slavery.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...