Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 2 Summary
The New Master and Mistress
- The narrator and her brother William move in with their new family, headed by local physician Dr. Flint.
- They are not immediately made welcome.
- We finally get the narrator's name, courtesy of her grandmother. It's Linda.
- More sadness: Linda's dad dies.
- You'd think she might get the day off, but instead Mrs. Flint orders her to pick flowers to decorate the house.
- Remember Grandma's mistress, who borrowed all that money? She dies with the debt still outstanding.
- Grandma goes to the guy who inherited the mistress's estate to ask for the money back, which goes about as well as you'd expect: he basically laughs in her face.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...