Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 3 Summary
The Slaves’ New Year’s Day
- New Year's Day! Brunches, champagne, and resolutions to finally lose that 10 pounds.
- Unless you're a slave. In that case, January 1st is the day slaves are sold to new masters.
- On one "hiring-day," Linda watched a slave mother lose all seven of her children at the auction-block.
- In case we're not outraged enough, Linda also describes how old slaves are deemed useless since they can no longer work.
- She knows one slave whose owners abandoned her at the auction-block when she was sick. For twenty dollars, they let anyone take her.