Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 32 Summary
The Meeting of Mother and Daughter
- Fanny and Linda arrive in New York and go their separate ways—Fanny to the Anti-Slavery Society and Linda to friends.
- One day, she runs into her daughter Ellen on the street.
- Linda sends a note to Mrs. Hobbs, the cousin of Mr. Sands who now keeps Ellen.
- Linda is allowed to visit, and she learns that Ellen has not been put in school yet, even though Mr. Sands insisted she be educated.
- Mrs. Hobbs tells Linda that Ellen will make a great waiting-maid for her daughter.
- She seems to have no intention of educating Ellen and really emphasizes that Mr. Sands "gave" her Ellen—as in, gave like a slave.
- Linda freaks out just a little and writes to Dr. Flint and to his daughter, to see if he will sell her.
- Unsurprisingly, he refuses.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...