Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 34 Summary
The Old Enemy Again
- Dr. Flint writes Linda a letter, posing as his young son, asking Linda to come back home and pretending to be all loving and kind.
- Linda obviously doesn’t respond.
- When she learns that Dr. Flint is coming to New York again to find her, she tells Mrs. Bruce she has to go to Boston on business. She stays there for a month,
- While she's there, her son Benny has managed to find his way North.
- He visits, and he's full of excited plans for making it as a "free boy." She doesn't spoil his happiness, even though she's already figured out that the North isn't exactly a land of paradise.
- Finally, Dr. Flint leaves and she can go back to New York.
- She sends Benny to live with William, and spends a pretty nice winter and spring knowing that, for now, her family is safe.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...