Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 7 Summary
- Ah, young love. Linda has the hots for a young, freeborn carpenter, who proposes marriage.
- Afraid that Dr. Flint won’t let her get married, Linda asks one of Dr. Flint’s female friends to intervene for her.
- Dr. Flint says no way, and smacks Linda around a little for good measure. Oh, and if he ever sees her with the carpenter, he'll beat them both.
- This is a little weird: one day, Dr. Flint slips Linda a note, asking her to move to Louisiana with him and some other slaves.
- Unsurprisingly, this plan never works out.
- Linda tries to sneak visits with the carpenter but Dr. Flint has his eye on her.
- Finally she tells the carpenter that he should move to the Free States and forget about her.
- The carpenter takes her advice, and the two never see each other again. (If only they'd had Facebook.)
- Linda and her little brother William start plotting for freedom.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...