Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
by Harriet Jacobs
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Chapter 8 Summary
What Slaves Are Taught To Think Of The North
- So, you might be wondering why more slaves don't run away to the North, considering how crummy the South is.
- Lies, lies, and more lies. Slave owners lie to their slaves about how bad life is up North.
- Like, a slaveholder once told Linda that he saw one of her runaway friends up North, and she was literally dying of starvation.
- Gee, that's weird. Because Linda has actually stayed with that friend, who's totally happy with her new free life.
- Of course, now there's the Fugitive Slave Law, which makes it illegal for Northerners to help runaway slaves and offers rewards for their capture and return.
- So, Northerners, don't injure yourself by patting your own backs, there. As long as the North enforces this law, it's also guilty of slavery.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...