Cite This Page
Virgil Timeline and Summary
- Virgil rescues Dante from three threatening animals and they begin a journey to Hell.
- When Dante has doubts, Virgil reassures him. He tells him how he was approached by Beatrice, Dante’s crush, to help him.
- Virgil explains the Hellgate’s inscription to Dante.
- They see the neutrals.
- In Limbo, Virgil meets his friends and Dante gets to meet his favorite poets.
- He and Virgil get a ride across the Acheron with Charon.
- They travel from the Second to the fifth circle.
- Here, Virgil reveals the mysteries of Fortune to Dante.
- While crossing into to the city of Dis, Dante gets angry at a Wrathful sinner and pushes him into the river. Virgil rejoices.
- At the gates of Dis, Virgil’s "persuasive word" fails and they’re locked out of Dis. Fortunately a Heavenly messenger saves them.
- In the sixth circle, Virgil tells Dante to speak appropriately to Farinata.
- During a rest, Virgil explains the structure of Hell to Dante.
- Virgil convinces the Centaurs to lend him a guide through the seventh circle.
- While Virgil summons Geryon, Dante is sent off to meet the Usurers. He gets scared and runs back to Virgil.
- The two of them mount Geryon and are flown down to the eighth circle.
- Dante is mistaken for Pope Boniface VIII, his hated enemy, by the Simonist Pope Nicholas III. Dante wrathfully condemns him to his punishment. Virgil is pleased.
- Dante cries out of pity for the Diviners, Magicians, and Astrologers. Virgil rebukes him.
- Virgil convinces the Malebranche demons to guide them safely across the circle. They lie to him about a bridge. While they’re busy tormenting another sinner, Virgil and Dante escape. Virgil picks up Dante like a child and runs like hell.
- While talking to the Hypocrites, they learn the demons lied to them about the bridge. Virgil is pissed off.
- Dante and Virgil witness the horrible punishment of the Thieves. Vanni Fucci is rude to them.
- Dante and Virgil witness the dismembered Sowers of Scandal and Schism.
- In the ring of the Falsifiers, Dante witnesses an argument between Counterfeiter Master Adam and Falsifier of Words Sinon. Virgil rebukes him for being so petty. Dante is ashamed.
- Virgil convinces the giant Antaeus to carry him and Dante into the ninth circle.
- They traverse the ninth circle.
- They witness Lucifer. He’s not that great.
- Virgil picks up Dante and they climb down, then up, Lucifer’s body. Virgil explains why to Dante.
- Dante and Virgil emerge on the surface of the earth.