Inherit the Wind Act 2, Scene 1 Summary
- Workers set up for the prayer meeting while Brady talks to Hornbeck and other reporters.
- Brady says that Drummond used to work on his campaigns.
- Now, however, Drummond is challenging people's faith, so Brady says he must go against his old pal.
- Arch-nemeses always start out as the closest of friends, you know.
- Anyway, the prayer meeting starts and people get really riled up, especially the Reverend. He prays that god will destroy Bert.
- Rachel begs her father not to pray for such a thing.
- He asks that she be cursed too, because she is defending a sinner.
- We did not see that coming. Yikes.
- Brady puts a stop to the hellfire talk by saying that "He that troubleth his own house…shall inherit the wind" (II, I, 177-78).
- This is a bible quote. What do you think it means, and why was this quote chosen for the play's title, hmm?
- Drummond says that he isn't the one who moved away from Brady.
- No, he says, Brady was the one who stood still and brought distance to their relationship.
- These two are starting to sound more like ex-lovers than siblings.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...