Island of the Blue Dolphins
by Scott O'Dell
Island of the Blue Dolphins Chapter 24 Summary
- Spring rolls around once again and Karana's bird friends Tainor and Lurai build a nest (partly from Rontu's fur) and have babies.
- Karana also takes in a wounded gull and helps heal his broken leg. This makes Karana's house one big happy wild kingdom.
- As Karana is out gathering abalones in her canoe one day, she sees a herd of otter. As she paddles toward the shore, an otter follows her. Could it be? Yup – it's Mon-a-nee.
- Mon-a-nee has two baby otters with him, and that's when Karana realizes that Mon-a-nee is a mother. She renames him – we mean her – "Won-a-nee" or "Girl with the Large Eyes" (24.15).
- Karana becomes good friends with the otter family and throws them fish and abalones when she's out in her canoe.
- Since she is now so close to the animals Karana vows never to kill another otter, cormorant, sea elephant, or wild dog.
- She tells us, "Animals and birds are like people, too, though they do not talk the same or do the same things. Without them the earth would be an unhappy place" (24.19).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...