Island of the Blue Dolphins
by Scott O'Dell
Karana (Won-a-pa-lei) Timeline and Summary
- While out collecting roots, Karana spots the ship on the horizon.
- Karana watches the negotiations between Captain Orlov and her father.
- When the contract doesn’t work out, Karana and Ulape watch the massacre of their people.
- Karana tells her brother Ramo he cannot return to the village for his fishing spear.
- When she sees Ramo isn't aboard the ship to the mainland, Karana jumps back into the ocean to return to the island for her brother.
- Karana journeys to the east in her canoe, but then returns to the Island of the Blue Dolphins when the canoe springs a leak.
- Happily escorted back home by dolphins, Karana decides the island will be her home until the white men return.
- Karana builds her house on the headland.
- Even though the native laws warning against women making weapons, Karana makes a new set of bow and arrows and a spear.
- Karana watches the fight between the young and old bull, when she goes out looking for sea elephant teeth.
- Karana sets a brush fire outside of the wild dogs' cave. She wounds the dog leader when he comes out of the cave.
- Karana nurses the dog leader back to health and names him "Rontu."
- Karana finds the necklace in front of the cave.
- Karana meets Tutok, and they become friends.
- She tells Tutok her secret name.
- Karana makes a circlet for Tutok.
- Karana is alone again on the island.
- Karana rescues an otter from the kelp bed, and names the otter Mon-a-nee.
- Mon-a-nee returns to the sea.
- Karana nurses a wounded gull.
- Karana meets with Mon-a-nee/Won-a-nee and her children.
- A big earthquake hits the island.
- The tidal waves crash over the island.
- The white men return to the island, but Karana misses the boat.
- Karana leaves the Island with missionaries.