Island of the Blue Dolphins Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How is Karana's relationship to the natural world different from her father's? How is it different from the Aleuts'?
- How do Karana and Tutok manage to become friends? How can cultures that don't even speak the same language come to understand each other?
- What does the color red symbolize in this novel?
- Why doesn't Karana kill the leader of the dog pack? Is it better to get revenge or to have mercy?
- Why does Karana decide not to kill the animals of the island anymore? Do you agree with her decision? Why or why not?
- What do the two tidal waves symbolize? Can we ever really control the natural world?
- What will Karana's life be like off the island? Do you think she'll ever wear her cormorant skirt again?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis