One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Ivan Denisovich Shukhov Timeline and Summary
- Shukhov wakes up and feels sick.
- He gets punished by a warder for staying in bed late.
- The warder makes Shukhov wash a floor in the wardens' office.
- After this he goes to eat breakfast.
- He returns to his hut to get ready for the work day.
- Then he lines up outside with the rest of his work gang.
- He manages to bum a cigarette butt off of Tsezar.
- Gang 104 marches to the worksite.
- After arriving they all chill by a stove for a bit.
- Shukhov and Kildigs steal some tar paper for the Power Station.
- Shukhov works on building a chimney for the stove in the Power Station.
- The gang then breaks for lunch.
- Shukhov steals two bowls at lunch and gets an extra portion.
- He takes Tsezar his lunch.
- After lunch he works on laying bricks for a wall.
- Shukhov is nearly late lining up to march back to camp and people yell at him.
- He has to wait with the others while the guards search for a missing prisoner.
- Shukhov is very upset about getting back to camp late.
- His gang makes decent time and gets to the checkpoint.
- Shukhov forgets he has a steel piece on him.
- He anxiously goes through the checkpoint with it and makes it through undetected.
- Then he goes to pick up a package for Tsezar.
- After this he heads to dinner.
- He has some trouble finding his gang but he makes it inside.
- Shukhov gets to eat Tsezar's dinner too.
- He then goes to buy some tobacco.
- Then he heads back to his hut.
- He helps Tsezar manage his package during nightly roll call.
- As thanks Tsezar gives him some food.
- Shukhov shares some with Alyoshka.
- He goes to sleep happy after his successful day.