The Jackson Era Quotes
They Said It
| "[I] will save the nation from the rule of demagogues who by intrigue are, and have been attempting to cheat the people out of their constitutional rights, by a caucus of congressional members."
- Andrew Jackson to his wife, Rachel, 182433
| "The Judas of the West has closed the contract and will receive the thirty pieces of silver. . . . Was there ever witnessed such a bare faced corruption in any country before?"
- Andrew Jackson on Henry Clay and the "corrupt bargain" of 182434
| "The authority of the Supreme Court must not be permitted to control the Congress or the Executive when acting in their legislative capacities, but to have only such influence as the force of their reasoning may deserve."
- Andrew Jackson, 183235
| "The World is Governed Too Much"
- Masthead of the Washington Globe, a pro-Jackson newspaper founded in 183036
| "John Marshall has made his decision, now let him enforce it."
- Attributed to Andrew Jackson after the Supreme Court issued its ruling in Worcester v. Georgia, 183237
| "The political history of the United States, for the last thirty years, dates from that moment when the soft hand of Mr. Van Buren touched Mrs. Eaton's knocker."
- Jackson biographer James Parton on Martin Van Buren's political manipulation of the Eaton scandal, 186638
| "I had rather have live vermin on my back than the tongue of one of these Washington women on my reputation."
- Andrew Jackson to Peggy Eaton.39