Available to teachers only as part of theTeaching Jamestown & Early Colonial VirginiaTeacher Pass
Teaching Jamestown & Early Colonial VirginiaTeacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Reading Quizzes
Questions1. Which English leader, who ascended to the throne in 1558, helped revive England and prepare it for the race for empire?
2. Who was Richard Hakluyt the younger?
3. What was the legacy of Sir Francis Drake and John Oxenham in Spain?
4. In what two ways did Sir Walter Raleigh plan to use his North American colony?
5. Where did Raleigh expect to establish his colony in the New World?
Answers1. Queen Elizabeth I.
2. An English clergyman, geographer, and advocate of English expansion who assumed that enormous wealth still awaited discovery in the New World. Hakluyt suggested that America offered a cornucopia of natural resources that could be turned into valuable goods by English skilled craftsmen and Indian laborers, working side by side.
3. They haunted the sea lanes used to deliver Spain's New World fortunes, plundering Spanish gold and silver for the English Crown. They were feared as villainous pirates in Spain.
4. First, he planned to use the colony as a source of valuable local resources that could be turned into wealth for England through the skilled work of colonists. Second, he planned to use his North American colony as a naval base from which he would launch raids on the Spanish gold fleet.
5. Roanoke, an island off the coast of modern-day North Carolina.
CORRESPONDING LEARNING GUIDE