by Charlotte Brontë
Jane Eyre Timeline and Summary
- Jane is living with her Aunt Reed and cousins at Gateshead, being bullied and tormented by John Reed in particular.
- Jane finally can’t take it anymore and fights back against John.
- Jane is locked in the "red room," the bedchamber where her uncle died, as a punishment, and has a traumatic, eerie experience.
- Jane is sent to Lowood Institute, a religious school for orphan girls.
- Jane studies hard and eventually becomes a teacher at Lowood.
- Jane gets a spot of wanderlust and applies to be a governess.
- Jane gets a job at Thornfield as the governess to a little French girl named Adèle Varens.
- Jane meets the master of Thornfield, Mr. Rochester, and quickly falls in love with him.
- Jane has a series of eerie experiences related to a mysterious locked room on the third floor of Thornfield and a creepy woman’s laugh that she hears coming from behind the door.
- Mr. Rochester teases Jane by pretending to be interested in a local debutante, Blanche Ingram.
- Jane goes back to Gateshead to tend Mrs. Reed on her deathbed.
- Jane returns to Thornfield and eventually becomes engaged to Mr. Rochester.
- Jane and Rochester’s wedding is interrupted by two men who reveal that Rochester is already married.
- Jane leaves Thornfield and wanders alone on the moors, friendless and starving.
- Arriving at Moor House, Jane is taken in by Diana, Mary, and St. John Rivers.
- After regaining her strength, Jane gets a job as a teacher in a village school in Morton and moves to her own cottage.
- Jane discovers that she and the Rivers siblings are cousins and that she has inherited £20,000.
- St. John Rivers asks Jane to marry him and go with him to India on a missionary trip.
- Jane mysteriously hears Rochester calling her from a great distance.
- Jane returns to Thornfield and marries Mr. Rochester.
- Jane and Rochester have a son.