Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Chapter 4 Summary
- Almost a year later, everyone in London is shocked by a terrible crime.
- A maid saw everything. Her testimony ran as follows:
- She was sitting in her window and saw a sweet and gentle and kind old gentleman asking a young man for directions.
- She recognizes the young man as Mr. Hyde.
- Suddenly, Mr. Hyde beats the old gentleman to death.
- The maid faints.
- Hours later, she finally calls the police.
- The old man has a letter on him addressed to Mr. Utterson.
- Mr. Utterson (who seems to be everybody’s lawyer) accompanies a police officer to the crime scene.
- He recognizes the body as Sir Danvers Carew, and the broken walking stick (read: murder weapon) as one that he had given to Dr. Jekyll some years before.
- Mr. Utterson offers to take the police officers to Dr. Jekyll’s house, where they poke through everything but are unable to find Mr. Hyde.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search