Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Chapter 4 Summary
- Almost a year later, everyone in London is shocked by a terrible crime.
- A maid saw everything. Her testimony ran as follows:
- She was sitting in her window and saw a sweet and gentle and kind old gentleman asking a young man for directions.
- She recognizes the young man as Mr. Hyde.
- Suddenly, Mr. Hyde beats the old gentleman to death.
- The maid faints.
- Hours later, she finally calls the police.
- The old man has a letter on him addressed to Mr. Utterson.
- Mr. Utterson (who seems to be everybody’s lawyer) accompanies a police officer to the crime scene.
- He recognizes the body as Sir Danvers Carew, and the broken walking stick (read: murder weapon) as one that he had given to Dr. Jekyll some years before.
- Mr. Utterson offers to take the police officers to Dr. Jekyll’s house, where they poke through everything but are unable to find Mr. Hyde.