Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
by Robert Louis Stevenson
Dr. Hastie Lanyon Timeline and Summary
- Mr. Utterson visits Dr. Lanyon to ask about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
- Dr. Lanyon admits that his relationship with Dr. Jekyll is no longer a close one.
- Dr. Lanyon has never heard of Mr. Hyde.
- After the death of Sir Danvers, Mr. Utterson and Dr. Lanyon dine at Dr. Jekyll’s house, and all seems well.
- Several days later, Dr. Lanyon is near death. He looks much older and paler and terrified.
- Two weeks later, he dies and leaves a narrative with Mr. Utterson.
- The narrative details his witnessing the transformation from Mr. Hyde to Dr. Jekyll.
- Most likely, the disturbing scene of watching Jekyll become Hyde was too much to bear, causing the death of poor Mr. Lanyon.