Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Genre
Mystery, Horror or Gothic Fiction, Science Fiction, Psychological Thriller and Suspense
Make no mistake, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde gets our hearts pumping with its brutal murders, magical potions, inexplicable events, game-changing documents, and, of course, the evil-oozing Mr. Hyde. At the core of this novella is a mystery: who exactly is this Mr. Hyde and what is the nature of his relationship to the benevolent and wonderful Dr. Jekyll? As we read, we come to find that the answer to this question may not be easy to come by. Along the way, we get a good dose of all kinds of Gothicky things. Let's pull out our Gothic checklist:
- Old, decrepit, shadowy, ruined, could-be-haunted buildings? Check.
- Underground things like crypts, tombs, basements, secret passageways? Check.
- Lots of shadow and darkness contrasted with little hints of light (like candles or moonlight)? Check.
- Magical elements, ghostly things, or supernatural undertones? Check.
- A protagonist or hero who reveals his true identity only once we've reached the end of the story? Check.
- Really freaky events (like murders and stuff)? Check.