Mr. Enfield Timeline and Summary
- Coming back from "some place at the end of the world," Mr. Enfield is walking home at three in the morning when he spies a human Juggernaut on a collision course with a young girl.
- After the Juggernaut knocks the girl over, Mr. Enfield apprehends the man and brings him over to a group of people fussing over the child.
- Mr. Enfield is struck by the fact that every single person in the group, including the doctor, absolutely loathes the criminal on sight.
- The criminal offers to pay reparations, then pops into a door and comes out with a check for 100 pounds, drawn from someone else’s bank account.
- Mr. Enfield is suspicious, but the check is genuine.
- When Mr. Enfield and Mr. Utterson pass by the door, Mr. Enfield relates the whole story to Mr. Utterson, remarking on the oddness of the situation: the criminal is obviously a despicable man, but the money he paid was drawn from the account of an extremely well-respected member of society.
- The two men discuss the issue.
- Mr. Utterson asks for the name of the criminal, and Mr. Enfield tells him that it’s Mr. Hyde. He then describes the man’s appearance.
- They agree never to speak of it again.
- Some time later, the two men are again on their walk when they pass by the door.
- They chat about it, happy that Mr. Hyde has disappeared.
- They go past Dr. Jekyll’s window and chat with him for a while, before Dr. Jekyll looks absolutely terrified and sad and slams down the window.
- Mr. Enfield and Mr. Utterson are aghast and horrified.