The Jew of Malta
by Christopher Marlowe
The Jew of Malta Act 3, Scene 3 Summary
- Abigail comes upon Ithamore laughing gleefully over the success of his and Barabas's machinations against Lodowick and Mathias.
- So, Abigail gets to hear about Lodowick and Mathias's deaths from Ithamore.
- This is probably one of the worst ways ever to hear that your dad has plotted to kill your boyfriend.
- Abigail, somehow, keeps her cool throughout this exchange, and asks Ithamore to rustle up some of the friars at the nunnery to come talk with her.
- After delivering some dirty nun jokes, Ithamore complies and goes to the nunnery.
- Abigail, alone, gets to think about what's happened, now having figured out how she worked into Barabas's plot against Lodowick and Mathias.
- She gets that Barabas hated Lodowick because he's Ferneze's son, but what did Mathias ever do to him?
- Basically, she concludes that everyone is awful.
- Ithamore shows up with friar, Jacomo, and Abigail asks him to make her a nun.
- Jacomo's confused, because didn't he already make her a nun? And didn't she not like it too much?
- Turns out, there's nothing like the death of your boyfriend to turn you around on the whole Christian thing.
- Jacomo agrees, but asks her to stop changing her mind on the whole Nun! Wait, Not a Nun! thing.
- She's tempted to tell Jacomo that Barabas's various schemes are what's behind her changes in heart, but doesn't.
- Big mistake, sister.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...