Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching Jim Crow in AmericaTeacher Pass
Teaching Jim Crow in America Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Are you shocked by these accounts of public torture and lynching?
- If not, why not?
- If so, what do you find most shocking? (the methods? the audience? the atmosphere? the quasi-official character of the proceedings?)
- Do you think the author is correct in linking the film and these events?
- Is there a “power of fiction?”
- What is the relationship between cultural expressions (film, television, literature, perhaps video games) and actual events? Do they encourage, model, sanction similar behavior?
- In 1915, educated and high-minded viewers praised Birth of a Nation. Today, we condemn the film’s historical inaccuracy and racist message. What contemporary cultural expression will future generations condemn in similar fashion?
- Is there a movie, television show, song, or video game that future analysts will criticize and perhaps cite as a contributor to current social problems