Johnny Tremain Allusions & Cultural References
Literary and Philosophical References
These are verses about pride that Grandpa Lapham asks Johnny to read at breakfast.
- Leviticus 26:19 (1.2.18)
- Proverbs 11:2 (1.2.20)
- Proverbs 16:18 (1.2.22)
This is pretty much the Johnny Tremain reading list. These are the books he reads in the Lorne's library, though sadly, we never get his thoughts on them.
- John Milton, Paradise Lost (5.2.33)
- Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe (5.2.33)
- Henry Fielding, Tom Jones (5.2.33)
- John Locke, Essays on Human Understanding (5.2.33)
- Thomas Hutchinson, History of Massachusetts Bay (5.2.33)
- Chemical Essays (5.2.33) There were many collections of "Chemical Essays" published during this era. It's not clear which one Johnny is reading.
- Joseph Addison Spectator Papers (5.2.33)
- Alexander Pope, trans., The Iliad by Homer (5.2.33)
Pop Culture References
Appropriately enough, the two pop culture references are both brought to us courtesy of Isannah Lapham.