The Joy Luck Club Part 2, Prologue Summary
- This is a dialogue between a mother and a young daughter.
- The mother knows that if the daughter rides her bike around the corner, she will fall.
- The girl refuses to believe her mother.
- The mother knows her daughter will fall because of a book called The Twenty-Six Malignant Gates, which details twenty-six horrible fates for children.
- The girl wants to see the book, but the mom says it’s written in Chinese so she won’t understand it.
- The daughter demands to know these twenty-six fates.
- When her mother doesn’t answer, the girl rides her bike away in anger, shouting "You don’t know anything," and falling before she even rounds the corner.
- Score one for mom.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...