Available to teachers only as part of theThe Joy Luck ClubTeacher Pass
The Joy Luck ClubTeacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Reading Quizzes
Part 1, Prologue: Feathers from a Thousand Li Away
Questions1. How does the duck turn into a swan?
2. When immigration takes the swan away, what is the woman left with, and why does she want to give it to her daughter?
Answers1. The duck overstretches its neck in hopes of becoming a goose.
2. The woman is left with a feather, and she wants to give it to her daughter, so she can tell her the story of how the duck became a swan and how she came to America in hopes that her daughter would have a better life.