Jude the Obscure
Cite This Page
Jude the Obscure Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Each part of the book has a location in its title. Why does Hardy put such an emphasis on location in the novel?
- Jude dreams of succeeding in Christminster, but things don't work out the way he wanted. Would it have been better if Jude had never left home, or are his experiences worth the pain he goes through?
- How has the role of college and higher education changed from the time Hardy was writing the book?
- Why does Hardy make some of the most unconventional views on class, religion, and marriage belong to Sue Bridehead?
- Is it society or people's own flaws that keep them from achieving their goals and living a happy life?
- Arabella Donn comes across as such a two-dimensional villain. How do you think she would justify her actions throughout this book?
- What do you think Jude the Obscure would look like if Arabella were the narrative focus?