Julie of the Wolves
by Jean Craighead George
Kapu Timeline and Summary
- Kapu, we learn, is Amaroq's playful and courageous son. His spunkiness allows him to quickly befriend our girl Miyax. He becomes her "joking-serious partner" (1.120).
- Kapu gradually starts to grow up and become more independent. When the wolves depart for their nomadic lifestyle, he continues to be a friend to Miyax, bringing her food and protecting her from the grizzly.
- Amaroq starts to train Kapu, so that he can have what it takes to be the leader of the pack one day.
- Unfortunately, that day comes sooner than we'd like, when Amaroq is shot and killed by a hunter. Kapu is wounded in the same incident.
- Miyax nurses him back to health until he returns to the pack and becomes its leader.
- The last we see of Kapu, he and the pack are attempting to follow Miyax as she heads to Kangik to reunite with her father. She shoos them away, Kapu and the wolves run off.