Available to teachers only as part of theKaffir BoyTeacher Pass
Kaffir BoyTeacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Reading Quizzes
Questions1. What is the name of the neighborhood in which Mark grew up and what kind of neighborhood was it?
2. What did you need to enter the area in which Mark grew up?
3. What did Bishop Desmond Tutu prevent the government from doing?
4. Who lived on Second, Third, and Fourth Avenues?
5. What was the Sharpeville massacre?
Answers1. He grew up in Alexandra, a black ghetto.
2. You needed a permit to enter.
3. He prevented the government from razing all of Alexandra.
4. People of mixed race—or "Coloreds"—lived on these avenues.
5. Sixty-nine unarmed protestors were killed by the South African police for assembling a peaceful protest against the pass laws.
CORRESPONDING LEARNING GUIDE