by Ernest Hemingway
Ole Andreson Timeline and Summary
- We find out that the killers intend to kill Ole Andreson, a "big Swede."
- When Nick gets to the boarding house, we see that Ole is an ex-heavyweight prizefighter. He’s lying on the bed, fully clothed.
- At hearing what Nick has to say, he simply turns his head toward the wall and says that there’s nothing he can do about it.
- He explains that the men weren’t bluffing but that he doesn’t want to leave town, as he’s finished "with all that running around."
- Although he’s resigned himself to the fact that he will be killed, he can’t seem to bring himself to leave the boarding house.
- Ole also tells Nick that he doesn’t want to involve the police, either.
- Still turned to the wall, he thanks Nick Adams before the young man leaves.
- Back at the diner, the men conclude that Ole must have gotten mixed up with something back in Chicago.