by Ernest Hemingway
Sam Timeline and Summary
- When the killers ask George who is in the question, he responds that it is only "the nigger that cooks."
- At Al’s demand, George calls Sam in from the kitchen. When Al orders him to "stand right there," Sam responds, "Yes, sir."
- Al takes Sam and Nick back into the kitchen, ties them up, and gags them with a towel.
- After the killers leave, George unties and ungags Sam and Nick. Feeling the corners of his mouth, Sam declares, "I don’t want any more of that" and shortly adds, "I don’t like any of it."
- When George suggests that Nick go and talk to Andreson, Sam advises that Nick had better leave himself out of it.
- When Nick decides to go anyway, Sam declares that "little boys always know what they want to do."
- Once Nick comes back to the lunchroom, Sam hears his voice and opens the door from the kitchen. But then he says, "I don’t even listen to it" and shuts the door again.