Duke of Albany Timeline and Summary
- 1.2 Albany, together with Goneril, gets a third of the kingdom from Lear, which is upped to a half when Lear disowns Cordelia.
- 1.4 Albany comes in to find his wife and her father in a huge family fight. Lear curses Goneril and storms out. Albany tells Goneril he thinks she's gotten them into a bad situation.
- 4.2 Albany grows more and more disgusted with his wife's treatment of her father. He and Goneril yell insults at each other.
- 5.1 Albany, together with Goneril, Regan, and Edmund decide to wage war against Lear, Cordelia, and Cordelia's French troops. Albany makes it clear that he wants to fight to get rid of the French soldiers, but that he thinks Lear should be respected. Just before the battle, Albany is handed a message by a peasant (actually, it is Edgar in disguise) proving that his wife is conspiring to kill him.
- 5.3 Post-battle, Albany tries to find out where the captured Lear is, but Edmund distracts him. Then Albany confronts his wife and Edmund about their plan to kill him. At the end of the play, Albany is the last person alive with the right to rule the kingdom. He had tried to offer the throne back to Lear, but with Lear dead, he suggests that he, Kent, and Edgar split the throne.
Next Page: Regan Timeline
Previous Page: Goneril