Cite This Page
Earl of Kent Timeline and Summary
- 1.2 When Kent defends Cordelia against Lear's punishment, Lear banishes him from the kingdom.
- 1.4 Kent comes back in disguise as "Caius," a peasant, and asks if he can be Lear's servant. Lear agrees.
- 1.5 Lear asks Kent to deliver a message to Regan.
- 2.2 Kent starts a fight with Oswald, Goneril's disrespectful messenger. Cornwall comes in and Kent refuses to suck up to him, even though Cornwall is the guy running the show. As punishment, Cornwall puts Kent in the stocks. Take that. Kent settles down in the cold to endure his punishment, and is released as soon as Lear shows up.
- 3.1 Kent has a secret meeting with a nameless gentleman. He instructs the man to carry a message to Cordelia about the way Lear is being treated.
- 3.2 Kent finds Lear and the Fool wandering around in the storm and brings them to a cave.
- 3.4 Gloucester brings Kent, Lear, his fool, and Poor Tom to a better shelter. Kent tries to calm Lear down, but the King is busy with his mad ranting. Gloucester then tells him they had better get out of there, because Lear's life is in danger.
- 4.3 Kent and a messenger talk about how Cordelia has brought French troops to Britain to fight for Lear.
- 4.7 Kent finally finds Cordelia, and is around to witness the reunion between her and the King.
- 5.3 Kent comes looking for King Lear, who has been captured. Later, when Lear is grieving over Cordelia, Kent tries to explain to him about his disguise and how he followed him faithfully the whole time. Lear doesn't listen. After Lear dies, Albany offers Kent the chance to rule the kingdom. Kent refuses, hinting that he's going to follow Lear into death.