Goneril Timeline and Summary
- 1.1 When Lear asks his daughter how much she loves him, Goneril flatters him to get her chunk of the kingdom. After Lear acts all crazy and banishes Cordelia and Kent, Goneril and Regan talk quietly about how they're going to deal with their father, who is getting both senile and out of control.
- 1.3 Goneril confronts her father about the wild behavior of his knights. Furious, Lear storms out of her house and says he will stay with Regan.
- 2.2 Goneril shows up at Gloucester's house, where Lear and Regan are arguing. Together, Regan and Goneril confront their father and tell him that he needs to ditch the entourage, or at least cut it down in number. Lear curses them and leaves the castle. They lock the door behind him.
- 3.7 Goneril suggests that Cornwall and Regan punish Gloucester by plucking out his eyes. With this good suggestion, she leaves for home, accompanied by Edmund.
- 4.2 Goneril and Edmund hook up on the way back to Goneril's house. When she gets home, she fights with her husband.
- 5.1 As they get ready to face Cordelia's troops in battle, Goneril and Regan squabble over Edmund.
- 5.3 Post battle, the fight between the sisters really gets going. Goneril poisons Regan so Edmund is all hers. Then Albany accuses her of plotting to kill him so she can marry Edmund. When Edgar mortally wounds Edmund in a duel, Goneril runs offstage and commits suicide.
Next Page: Duke of Albany Timeline
Previous Page: Cordelia