King Midas Study Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- According to the story of King Midas, is greed forgivable? Midas does get into a messy situation with his greedy wish, but he also gets off the hook pretty easily. What do you think?
- Does Midas deserve a reward for aiding Silenus? Why or why not?
- Should Dionysus have granted Midas's wish even though he apparently knew it was a bad idea from the start?
- Is there a way that Midas could have made his wish without getting in trouble for it? If so, how?
- What do stories like King Midas teach us about the role of wealth in ancient cultures? How is wealth similar and/or different in modern culture?
- Why do you think the story bothers to tell us about the flakes of gold in the river Pactolus? Is this important for some particular reason?
Next Page: Best of the Web
Previous Page: Analysis