King Midas Study Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- According to the story of King Midas, is greed forgivable? Midas does get into a messy situation with his greedy wish, but he also gets off the hook pretty easily. What do you think?
- Does Midas deserve a reward for aiding Silenus? Why or why not?
- Should Dionysus have granted Midas's wish even though he apparently knew it was a bad idea from the start?
- Is there a way that Midas could have made his wish without getting in trouble for it? If so, how?
- What do stories like King Midas teach us about the role of wealth in ancient cultures? How is wealth similar and/or different in modern culture?
- Why do you think the story bothers to tell us about the flakes of gold in the river Pactolus? Is this important for some particular reason?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search