The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale
Emily Timeline and Summary
- Theseus captures Emily, along with her sister Hippolyta, during his siege of Scythia. He takes her home with them to Athens.
- Walking in the garden one Mayday, Emily catches the eye of Palamon and Arcite, who fall hopelessly in love with her.
- Emily joins the other women in begging Theseus for mercy when they come across Palamon and Arcite dueling in the forest.
- Before Palamon and Arcite's joust, Emily prays at the temple of Diana to be allowed to remain a virgin huntress all her life. Diana tells her she must marry either Palamon or Arcite.
- Emily watches the joust.
- Emily is at Arcite's bedside when he dies, and hears him commend Palamon to her as a husband.
- Emily marries Palamon.