The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale
Cite This Page
The Canterbury Tales: The Knight's Tale Part 2, Lines 593-669 Summary Page 1
- Meanwhile, Palamon has been rotting in prison for seven whole years. (We're thinking that Arcite was definitely the luckier one.) It sounds like he's going crazy.
- However, on the night of May 3rd, he manages to escape the prison with the help of a friend.
- How did he get out? Well, he gave his guard some spiced wine laced with opium, which made the guard pass out. Then Palamon ran for it.
- The sun is rising so he hides in a grove of trees.
- He's already hatched a plan. He's going to escape to Thebes at nightfall. There, he'll build and army and wage war against Theseus. Either he'll win Emily as his wife or he'll die trying.
- Right now, though, he'll rest in the grove.
- Meanwhile, Arcite has decided to go for a ride this fine May morning. By chance, he heads to the same grove of trees where Palamon is hiding.
- Arcite hops off his horse. He starts making a garland and singing. No, we're totally serious.
- Palamon, still in hiding, notices Arcite but doesn't recognize him.