by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Kubla Khan Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Are there moments where it feels like Coleridge is describing something real, or does this seem like a hallucination to you?
- Have you ever tried to write down or describe an epic dream? Is it hard to bring it into the real world?
- Many of the images and the words in this poem get pretty fancy, and the setting jumps around a lot. Do you find yourself getting caught up in the excitement, or do you wish Coleridge would dial it down a notch?
- How about the images of the river and the fountain? Do they make a concrete picture in your mind, something you could describe, or do they give you a more general feeling?
- If you could rewrite this poem would you make any changes? Would you try to make it easier to understand, or make it even more mysterious?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...