by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Kubla Khan Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Are there moments where it feels like Coleridge is describing something real, or does this seem like a hallucination to you?
- Have you ever tried to write down or describe an epic dream? Is it hard to bring it into the real world?
- Many of the images and the words in this poem get pretty fancy, and the setting jumps around a lot. Do you find yourself getting caught up in the excitement, or do you wish Coleridge would dial it down a notch?
- How about the images of the river and the fountain? Do they make a concrete picture in your mind, something you could describe, or do they give you a more general feeling?
- If you could rewrite this poem would you make any changes? Would you try to make it easier to understand, or make it even more mysterious?