La Belle Dame Sans Merci
by John Keats
La Belle Dame Sans Merci Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why do you think that the fairy lady cries in her cave (line 30)?
- Could the knight's entire experience just have been a dream? Would that matter?
- Why is the knight able to understand the fairy lady's "language strange" (line 27)?
- Who is the unnamed speaker who comes across the knight at the beginning of the poem? The poet, John Keats? The reader? Someone else?
- Why does the last stanza echo the first? What is the effect of that?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...