Lady Chatterley's Lover
by D.H. Lawrence
Clifford Chatterley Timeline and Summary
- Clifford goes off to war. While he's there, his older brother dies, and he realizes that the Chatterley name is now his responsibility. So he comes home and gets married.
- Right after he marries, he's wounded in battle. He recovers, but is paralyzed from the waist down—and there goes the family name.
- Clifford and Connie head to the family estate of Wragby, where Clifford starts writing modern stories and getting to be a little famous in certain circles. He has friends over, and they sit around talking about modern things like sex and birth control.
- When Connie gets restless, Clifford agrees to hire a nurse. He turns out to like having someone obeying his every whim, and Mrs. Bolton gets her clutches—or her vine-like tendrils—around him.
- She convinces him to start caring about his coal pits again, and he drops his writing in favor of learning about chemistry and mining.
- When Connie fake-surprises him by asking for a divorce, he refuses.