Lady Chatterley's Lover
Cite This Page
Constance Chatterley (Connie) Timeline and Summary
- Connie grows up in an unconventional family and studies in Germany for a while, where she loses her virginity to a nice German boy who likes to talk philosophy.
- During World War I, she marries Clifford when he's home on leave. Then he's injured and comes home paralyzed from the waist down. Happy honeymoon for all.
- The Chatterleys head up to Wragby, Clifford's estate. It's awful there—half post-recession Detroit without the cool art deco architecture, and half some McMansion exurb.
- Connie gets more and more depressed, until she has an affair with Michaelis—and then they break it off and she gets really depressed.
- In the woods one day, she meets Mellors, the estate's gamekeeper. One thing leads to another, and pretty soon they're having sex and dancing naked in the rain.
- Meanwhile, things are getting frosty at home. Connie is fed up with Clifford's aristocratic snobbishness, and she decides to divorce him so she can run off with Mellors.
- But first she goes to Venice.
- While she's there, Clifford writes her boring letters. She learns that Mellors has left Wragby, and she heads home to confront Clifford.
- Clifford surprises even himself with his level of jerkitude, refusing to grant her a divorce.
- She travels to stay with her sister Hilda in Scotland, waiting things out.