The Lake Isle of Innisfree
Stanza 1 Summary
Get out the microscope, because we’re going through this poem line-by-line.
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree
- The speaker states that he's off to Innisfree. Uh, whootywhat?
- Innisfree is a small island in a lake called Lough Gill, in Sligo County, Ireland.
- Yeats grew up visiting Sligo every year, and taking small trips to Lough Gill.
- You know what jumps out at Shmoop here? This speaker sounds pretty resolved. I will arise! And go now! And go to Innisfree!
- Geez, buddy, we get it. So get movin' already.
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
- First, we have to tell you that wattles are rods and stakes mixed with sticks and branches to make walls or fences. They sound hilarious, but they're actually pretty standard fencing fare.
- So he's going to build a small cabin and it's going to be pretty simple and rustic, right?
- Right away we can tell this isn't your typical dream-vacation fantasy palace. He's not building some villa with an infinity pool.
- And once again, we've got some serious determination on our hands. This guy is making plans. Let's see if he keeps 'em.
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
- He says he's going to have a small bean garden and a beehive for honeybees. This guy sounds like he's in serious need of retirement.
- "Glade" is an open space in a forest, so you can probably picture the bee glade as a clearing in the woods surrounding his tiny cabin with swarms of honeybees.
- In line 4 the speaker states that he wants to live alone, surrounded only by the sound of bees and the presence of nature. Why no friends and family to share it, buddy?
- Anything else you Shmoopers notice? Oh! Oh! Pick me!
- Yep, these lines create a rhyme scheme for the first stanza, when you combine them with the first two lines: ABAB. Innisfree rhymes with honeybee, and made rhymes with glade. Nifty, right? For more, check out our section on "Form and Meter."
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...