I like to see it lap the Miles Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- If this is a poem about a train, a manmade invention, why bother with all of this animal imagery?
- What are the speaker's feelings about the train? She says that she "likes" to see it as it speeds by – is that the only emotion she expresses, or might her feelings be more complicated?
- Is this train a girl or a boy? Or does it have both masculine and feminine aspects?
- What do you think the train is "[c]omplaining" about in line 10?
- We see a whole lot of the train, but not the countryside it passes through, or its inhabitants. What might this empty landscape signify?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...