Leda and the Swan
by William Butler Yeats
Leda and the Swan Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What was your initial reaction to the poem? Disgust? Amazement at the language?
- Is this an erotic poem? Is it meant to be?
- Does Yeats imply that Leda has mixed feelings about the rape, or would she have fought against it if she could?
- What kind of "knowledge" do you think Leda could have acquired from Zeus?
- If you could gain only one kind of knowledge – say, of the future or of the laws of nature – what would it be?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...