The Left Hand of Darkness
by Ursula K. Le Guin
Genly Ai Timeline and Summary
- Ai is on Gethen in an attempt to get the Gethenians people to join the Ekumen.
- With Estraven's help, he manages to secure an audience with the King.
- His first attempt is with King Argaven. It fails epically.
- Only a little deterred, Ai goes to the Fastness.
- He meets Faxe, who prophesies that Ai's mission will be successful.
- With a little extra skip in his step, Ai goes to Oregoreyn to try again.
- He runs into Estraven again. This time, he rejects the man's advice.
- The Orgoreyn Commensals turn on Ai and send him packing to the Volunteer Farm.
- There, Ai is tortured nearly to death.
- Who should come to the rescue, but Estraven himself?
- Together, the two travel 840 miles of hard, wintery Gethen wilderness.
- Back in Karhide, Ai manages to get a signal to his ship.
- Unfortunately, he also witnesses Estraven's death as he tries to cross back into Orgoreyn.
- With the ship inbound, King Argaven's hand is forced. He agrees with Ai's terms. Mission success!
- Ai heads to Estre and meets Estraven's father and son. He tells them the story of how he and Estraven managed to cross the Ice.