Legislative Branch (Congress) Questions
There's more than one right answer.
- Why does Congress have two houses?
- Is the system of equal representation for all states in the United States Senate antidemocratic? Why or why not?
- Why does the Constitution require a reapportionment of congressional seats every ten years?
- Why was McCullough v. Maryland (1819) one of the most important Supreme Court cases in American history?
- Why would James Madison, one of the most important of the framers of the Constitution, have considered Congress to be "the first branch" of the government?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of gerrymandering?
- Should legislators' primary allegiance be to the interests of the nation as a whole, or to the interests of the constituents they represent? Why?
- Should the Constitution's implied powers of government be interpreted broadly or narrowly? Why?
- Is deficit financing of government programs a good idea? Why or why not?
- Should filibustering be allowed in the Senate? Why or why not?
Next Page: Photos
Previous Page: Quotes