Life of Pi Part 1, Chapter 17 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- In this chapter, Pi becomes a Christian. Keep track, now. Pi is already Hindu. Now he adds Christianity at fourteen.
- Pi and his family take a vacation in the hill station (a city at a higher elevation) of Munnar.
- Pi wanders up to a Catholic church. He enters the church and meets one Father Martin. They have tea and biscuits.
- Over the course of a few sessions, Father Martin tells Pi about Jesus Christ: Christ died for humankind's sins and not only that, it wasn't a pretty death.
- Pi voices a few concerns: Why would a god suffer? Why would a god taint himself with death? Why doesn't Jesus do much other than tell stories and perform some rather small miracles? Why is Christ so human?
- Father Martin answers pretty much all of these questions with one word: Love.
- Pi becomes a Christian.
Next Page: Part 1, Chapter 18
Previous Page: Part 1, Chapter 16