Light in August
by William Faulkner
Light in August Chapter 14 Summary
- The sheriff finds out that Byron has Lena Grove living in the old Burden cabin.
- A black man comes to the police station and tells the sheriff of an incident that just occurred in a black church. A white man entered the church, attacked the preacher, and started cursing and yelling at the pulpit. The man also attacked another churchgoer named Roz, who tried to stand up and defend his church. Then the man escaped.
- The sheriff recognizes the man as Christmas and sends the bloodhounds out to the church. The dogs search for days but Christmas successfully evades them.
- Christmas walks and walks for days without eating; he becomes thin, hungry, and delirious.
- One day he stops a black man driving a wagon and hitches a ride to Mottstown.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...